CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Dear Mom and Dad...



As this Christmas is approaching, I've been thinking a lot about Christmases past. I wanted to take a moment to reflect on one of my best Christmas memories. My Mom and Dad ALWAYS worked so hard to try and make all of our dreams come true Christmas morning. As many of you know, my Dad was a minister while we were growing up and money was not growing on trees...BUT...when Christmas morning rolled around, they spared no expense to watch our eyes light up with excitement. One Christmas that I remember in particular was when I was in 6th or 7th grade. My brothers and I had opened all our gifts. We had each received wonderful things (as always) but hadn't received the main things we had asked Santa for. A little while later, while we were cleaning up the wrapping paper, my Mom looked at my Dad and said, "Honey, did we forget something?" My Dad smiled and disappeared. Low and behold, he walked out with 3 more gifts. The butterfly comforter set I had asked for, a bubblegum machine for Dave, and a dummy for Jon. OHHHHHHHH the excitement!!!!!!!!

I realize that Christmas is not about the gifts...but, my parents loved us so much that they worked to give us the world, wrapped up in whatever our fancy was that year. Thank you so much Mom and Dad for giving us all of those wonderful memories. Thank you for loving us so much that you were willing to sacrifice whatever it took to allow Santa to visit our home every year. We are so blessed to have you as parents. My prayer for you this coming year is that you may each have one of your greatest dreams fulfilled! I love you...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I talk to people all week I'm saddened and amazed by how many people resent their childhood. I join you sister in honoring our parents for the fine job they did in giving us a happy childhood.

I was going to make a lot of money with that bubblegum machine by charging every visitor a quarter for a piece of gume...It didn't work out like that but I did eat a lot of gum. (Probably why I still swallow gum today!)

Now as my kids grow it is fun to watch their eyes twinkle when they talk about Christmas and put the velcro piece on the advent calendar.

Love you mom and dad!

Bubblegum Dave

Anonymous said...

The thing is, you kids made OUR Christmas special. Nothing compares to the joy of watching your precious children filled up and spilling over with joy as you all are discovering for yourselves. All you kids have given Dad and I so many wonderful, happy, loving memories that we can both truly say our cup is full and running over. Thanks be to God who established families and watched over ours through all the years. Love you all, Mom

Gina said...

What a great reminder of how special Christmas can, and should, be for our kids and us! I've got so many great memories of amazing Christmas mornings, and they don't all have to do with the presents-though I do remember one very cool dollhouse one year! It is fun to watch the excitement in their eyes-knowing Santa is on the way. Levi is still wondering how he will get out of the fireplace, as ours is a glass enclosed gas one. Thanks for sharing.